Brenna Micek


Comments

  1. Very interesting! So many organizations are diving into financial literacy as an issue affecting communities, particularly those experiencing poverty. Programs that focus on financial literacy learning, micro-lending, savings matching programs, and renter preparedness are on the rise. It would be interesting to see if adult financial literacy learning can be as effective as family influence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find this so very interesting and important. I wish we could have talked face-to-face as I would love to see/hear you flesh out: if taking about this does not increase knlweldge about financial matters, why do we think talking about it is a good thing? Of course, as a communication professional, I would not actually argue this. While I do not believe talk is inherently a good thing in all instances, perhaps what we do not see are the long term effects of learning to talk about financial issues. In my family this was more forbidden; and perhaps as my father was a depreression-era child (born in 1925) and we were more middle class and for some parts of my childhood, were were financially confortable. I realized later, even when we had financial challenges, no one told us kids about it-- and in fact I learned very little about finances at home.

    We are so grateful for the work that you have done with your Capstone professors this semester; you hung in there and finished up your project. Wishing you all the best! If you are graduating this semester, congratulations and please keep in touch with us, you are always a CommHusker! Dr. Dawn O. Braithwaite, Department Chair, Communication Studies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brenna, I remember hearing you speak about your project in one of our advising sessions; I thought the topic sounded so interesting and your poster is as well. I am surprised to see that the frequency of financial talks doesn't make a large difference. I wonder if students who don't talk about finances with their family are gaining that information elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also surprised to see this! I would have expected the frequency of talks to have more difference as well. This is one of those studies that create MANY questions for future research, which is a very good thing. Well done!

      Delete
  4. Brenna,

    Such an awesome study! I have a close friend at Michigan State who studies financial infidelity between parents along with how this affects children. If you're interested, I would be happy to connect you if you'd be interested.
    I think your data shows so many interesting things. First, it considers this implicitly: Why are finances such a taboo topic, especially in family? It's almost as if these are considered highly private, personal information despite affecting the whole family. Second, the inherent limitation of your study is its demographics. However, this is a super important finding! The fact that you had fewer participants from non-white backgrounds completing the survey may tell us that financial communication in marginalized families is somehow unique. You've found yourself an awesome line of research.

    Good luck in Law School next year, and stay in touch!

    Robbie

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment