Emily Milligan


Comments

  1. Hi Emily. This is a very timely analysis, but I would have liked to read more about the actual analysis -- I'm not sure I find the answers to the excellent questions that you pose, or how they are found in your analysis of the texts. I'd also like to see examples of how the myths were constructed in the way that Spencer arranged the essays in the book. I think this is the hardest of all research to conduct, as it is difficult (for me, at least) to separate our personal passions and reactions of truly appalling discourse in order to better understand how that discourse finds resonance. For example, the myth of white victimhood seems like a commonly-used rhetorical strategy -- not just for Spencer but for all the others (and perhaps out leaders). The power of your analysis is in pulling to hood (pun intended) off the rhetoric to show it for what it is, and remove much of its power. Good for you to take on this type of analysis and criticism.Tom Workman, American Institutes for Research, Class of 2001

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Emily. I agree with the person above, this research is timely and desperately needed. I would encourage you to think more about how digital enclaves create spaces for these ideas to develop and circulate. White nationalism can be found in a variety of media, but social media is a breeding ground for hate that then moves in and out of mainstream visibility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily -- Nice work! This is an interesting read. Like Dr. Ohl, I'm interested in the potential to incorporate "hidden rhetoric" in social media and otherwise. For example, there are many symbols, words, and rhetorical tics (e.g., sovereign citizens often use awkward capitalization and their own vocabulary) that are demonstrate their identity and circulate into mainstream visibility. What do you think about not only the impact of social media usage, but also mainstream media's coverage of such issues? In particular, I think about the naming conventions of mainstream media when covering these issues (e.g., shooter vs. murderer).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily, I had not heard the term "mythic criticism" before reading your poster. I appreciated having the examples on the poster. I wonder if you compared how the media talk about Spencer with his own writings if the language used would be similar or different? Congratulations on finishing your Capstone! Sarah, Academic Advisor

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Emily,
    I enjoyed learning about your work! You framed the issue very well! It's very fresh to learn about mythic criticism. I wonder if you would like to connect the U.S. national myth with the history of race. Orbe and Harris's (2008) History of Race (chapter 2) would be well-connected to your analysis and expand your work in the larger history of racial formation. http://sk.sagepub.com/books/interracial-communication
    I am now very interested in checking out the book you analyzed "The Uprooting of European Identity."
    Thanks for the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Emily,
    I used to TA for this course in 2013 & 2014 and advised the quantitative and qualitative projects. Your study lies outside of my wheelhouse so I am not able to provide much feedback in that capacity. Sorry.

    I commend you for taking on this project. I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to engage with the chosen texts. This is difficult, but necessary work, and I am so appreciative of your commitment to this work.

    GBR!
    Sara Baker Bailey
    c/o 2014

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment