Blaize Brown


Comments

  1. Blaize, I appreciate this thoughtful project. Centered in McGee's idiographic criticism, you help us understand how terms like "freedom" have been appropriated away from LGBTQ concerns (which were used to pass legislation like same sex marriage) to groups that oppose. How can groups that oppose these steps create understanding or counternarratives? We are so grateful for the work that you have done with your Capstone professors this semester; you hung in there and finished up your project. Wishing you all the best! If you are graduating this semester, congratulations and please keep in touch with us, you are always a CommHusker! Dr. Dawn O. Braithwaite, Department Chair, Communication Studies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Blaize,
    What I like about this project is the tension between qualitative and critical scholarship in a rhetorical method...a scholar after my own heart!
    I wonder, have you read 'Disciplining Gender' by John Sloop? I ask because the book discusses how particular ideographs/themes (like that you have uncovered here) can often be used on both sides of an issue to mean two totally different things. I wonder, do you think what you have uncovered is a rhetorical strategy meant to combat LGBTQ definitions of ? If so, what does that say about ideographs?
    Well done :)
    Dr. Christina L. Ivey, Boise State University

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, what is missing here in a couple of places is the term "freedom" - I attempted to place them in the "<>" brackets, and apparently, Google Blogs does not like that. Hopefully, that clears up my question!

      Delete
  3. Hi Blaize,
    I used to TA for this course in 2013 & 2014 and advised the quantitative and qualitative projects. I second Dr. Ivey's comment about the smart and productive use of qualitative methods & rhetorical criticism. I hope to see more research projects that blend these two techniques together. And also the suggestion to read Sloop's "Discipline Gender."

    Second, it was very insightful and informative to point out language and terminology that is NOT being said versus what is being deployed: people, freedom, liberty, etc. That was a big ah ha moment for me and a point that will influence my scholarship moving forward. Thank you! Your analysis helps the broader research community to continue to shine a light on just how sinister and dangerous political rhetoric can be.

    GBR!
    Sara Baker Bailey
    c/o 2014

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment