Maddi Smith


Comments

  1. This is a great study, Maddi. Fisher is a perfect choice for analysis. I wonder if you had thought of, as context for the study, the constant retelling of the childhood trauma stories in the films. That is, producers are fixated on rebooting the origins of these characters over and over when they arrive on screen. I know that's not your project, but this could be an implication worth studying. Fascinating work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, Maddi - I LOVE this! What a cool concept and research idea.
    1. How did you find this artifact - super interesting!
    2. What, if any, impact do you see this having on readers? Or, alternatively, what does this say about the greater hero narrative? Do you see this playing a part in the reasoning behind Americans gravitating toward this particular genre (hero films/artifacts)?
    Bravo!
    Dr. Christina L. Ivey, Boise State University

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Dr. Ivey,
      I actually kind of chose my artifact and then came up with a concept. I had been wanting to read the Super Sons series for a while and I figured this was a great excuse for me to read it and study it! The main impact that I studied that Super Sons has potential of having is one with traditional and nontraditional families and how they can come together. Although, there are so many themes in this series that I would love to look at in the future. For example, there is a theme of socioeconomic status and how that directs the individual characters. I do see that the idea of nontraditional and traditional families being a factor in other hero films and artifacts. As people in more recent years have read and engaged with more of the Batman universe rather than the Superman, a documentary I have view called Batman and Bill showed this with the quick comparison of Batman shelf space to Superman shelf space in a store. This was not the case in the past although, people in past typically had a desire to engage in the Superman universe and timeline. I firmly believe that people (including myself) gravitate to this genre because it can portray so many different scenarios with typically the same characters. This then shows how these different scenarios bring people from various different backgrounds (Aquaman from the sea, Wonder Woman from Themyscira, Martian Manhunter from Mars) together under one cause that they all fight for together. There is conflict within this group, but they are still able to accomplish something which then gives readers and viewers hope that something similar might be able to do the same or similar thing in society. The idea of bringing together different people that still work together despite their backgrounds/history. I hope I was able to answer your questions! I also really appreciate you not only reading my poster, but also engaging with it!
      -Maddi Smith

      Delete

Post a Comment